Domestic Violence Statistics about Children for 2011
10 Shocking Domestic Violence Statistics about Children for 2011
Children of Domestic Violence (formerly the Makers of Memories Foundation) has created a powerful video on YouTube called 10 Shocking Domestic Violence Statistics for 2011. Here is the link. The video is only 2:46 minutes, so I invite you to watch it.
In my blog I usually focus my attention on the toll domestic violence takes on the female partner. This video talks about the children in those violent homes. Here are just a few of those statistics:
1. 275 million kids worldwide experience violence in their home. If all these children lived together in one area, that area would be the size of Western Europe.
2. 3.3 million kids experience domestic violence each year in the US.
3. 40 million adults in the US grew up believing the falsehoods that they learned as children in abusive homes.
4. Children who live in abusive homes are physically abused or seriously neglected at a rate 1500% higher than the national average.
5. Children exposed to chronic abuse and violence in their homes have:
a. Lower IQ scores
b. Poor language skills
c. Problems with attention and memory.
Here are the two statistics I find the most shocking:
6. 63% of all boys under the age of 20 who commit murder kill the man who is abusing their mother.
7. In 2010 more money was raised to protect native birds of the US than was raised to protect these children.
I believe this video gives compelling reasons for an abused mother to educate herself about domestic violence, and begin to make a safety plan for herself and her children. I would never say, “You should get out!” This is a decision each woman must make for herself with the help of a domestic violence advocate. But I do recommend that she educate herself, (go to my Get Help page for phone numbers, books and helpful links.) You can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233) or TTY 1−800−787−3224 to begin creating a safety plan. I also have a blog about creating a safety plan at this link.
What does the Lord say about the worth of children?
The following verses are taken from Matthew 18:1 – 6: At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea…”
Later in verse 10 Jesus says: “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven…”
I think it is safe to say that little children are important to Jesus, and that He loves them. Let us do all we can to love and protect them.